Feedly, The Flipbook Alternative

Flipbook is an app on the IPad that allows users to view all their news content in one single location. Now as I have given my IPad 2 to my wife and am eagerly awaiting the IPad 3, I have been without Flipbook to provide me my news fix. With the IPad 3 to arrive in perhaps a couple of weeks, I attempted to open my lovely Flipbook through ITunes. To much disappointment, the answer was no.

I then turned to the internet to see if there was a way to view the app on my PC, once again the answer was no. Okay, so then I started to look for any kind of alternatives that could perhaps fill this void. Link after link rendered results of other services with similar ideas but very poor design. Finally I came across Feedly.

Feedly does what Flipbook does, it provides your information from various sites and feeds onto one webpage. Feedly is a free application that is view-able on the web. Upon start up you can either view an sample of what the application's design looks like or start creating your own. You have the option to either create a new account or log in with a Google account.

Adding news sources are done with ease. To the top right you have a search bar which allows you to enter in any website you desire and link it's news/feed to your own customized Feedly page. One handy feature is the ability to categorize the sites. Each category can be named anything you wish it to be as well as the news source site.

Each article can be saved for later reading or shared through buttons located at the bottom of each source. Twitter integration is also a part of the application much like Flipbook as well as many other social media services; Facebook, e-mail, Evernote, Instapaper, Tumblr, and Google+.

So if you are in fact looking for a good alternative to Flipbook, Feedly is definitely one to try out. There is even an app for IOS and Android devices. It would have been nice to have seen a Windows Phone 7 app but maybe eventually as WP7 grows the app could be added in the future. Give it a try and let me know if you found Feedly to be a good replacement or not.

Comments

Popular Posts